The Sports and Games programme is designed to provide a balanced range of activities for students to have the opportunity to compete in team sport and enjoy a wide variety of physical activities.
We aim to develop:
- individual skills as well as a range of motor skills and stamina;
- appreciation of the concepts of fair play, honest competition and good sportsmanship;
- self-confidence through understanding the capabilities and limitations of oneself and others;
- an understanding of the importance of exercise in maintaining a healthy lifestyle;
- teams that can compete successfully against other schools and attain excellence; and
- the building of self-esteem through the acquisition of physical competition.
The general objective of the Sports and Games programme is to develop and improve the
students’ skills and knowledge of a variety of sports as they progress through the school. As such, each specific sport has its own objectives towards which the students should work. It is pointless to assume that boys and girls will automatically acquire or improve basic skills through playing only in full-sided games. These skills must all be taught specifically and at an individual level, then in pairs, small groups and so on up to small-sided games played on “pitches” suitably reduced in size. This would then naturally lead into a full game situation.
Listed below are the specific objectives of the department:
- To realise the full physical potential of each individual
- To develop an understanding of the importance of exercise in maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- To participate in a variety of games, including large and small team games.
- To know the principles of attack and defence within a game situation.
- To take part in and play a number of different roles within a game situation.
- To know and observe the rules of the game.
- To develop the capacity to maintain interest and enthusiasm to persevere to achieve success.
To bring about enjoyment through learning skills, thereby fostering a positive attitude towards playing games.